“Neutrality, narratives and neo-Nazis: Examining HEWILLNOTDIVIDE.US by LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner

I recently posted an essay to medium (link above). It details the events surrounding the ongoing durational artwork HEWILLNOTDIVIDE.US by LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner. The project is an example of how quickly a false narrative can spread and the consequences of misinformation and misrepresentation. It was my research on this that helped inform my responses on my previous posts to the ALA Meeting Room Interpretation changes. As noted in the essay, it is also an excellent example of the consequences of misguided attempts to claim neutrality which only result in empowering oppressors. 

Click on the super cool projection here to read the story.

My research on social media led me to he work of LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner , an art collective that explores emotion and connection through participatory performances, both online and offline. Their use of social media in their projects piqued my interest and I began observing the virtual communities that form around their works via social media platforms. I have presented on their work at the Mid-Atlantic Popular Culture Association (MAPACA) multiple times , focusing on different aspects and performances: 

2016: #Connection: Audience Participation in the Performance Art of LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner  

2017: Memes IRL: How the performance art of LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner unleashed an internet subculture into the real world

2018: Hitchhiking the internet with LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner