Katherine (Katie) Elson Anderson
Librarian II, Associate Professor
Paul Robeson Library, Rutgers University-Camden
Reference and Instruction Librarian
School of Communication and Information Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ: Master of Library and Information Science, May 2007.
Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology and German, May 1994
Reference and Instruction Librarian, Paul Robeson Library, Rutgers University-Camden, NJ, April 2009 to Present
Interim Director (June 2016- January 2018), Head of Web Development and Social Media Coordinator (2009-2017)
Provide general and specialized reference and research assistance locally and through Rutgers virtual reference services (chat, email, text, and social media). Other duties include collection development, user-centered instruction, and outreach. Serve as liaison to the Psychology Department, Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminal Justice and the School of Business.
Serve on and lead national professional committees. Provide service and leadership on Rutgers University Libraries committees, task forces and groups. Participate in local and state professional organizations and on campus-wide committees.
As Interim Director, managed the day-to-day operations of the Paul Robeson Library, which includes oversight of the budget, personnel, and facilities. Created local priorities that fit into the priorities and strategic plan of the Rutgers University Libraries and Rutgers University. Worked with contractors and campus representatives for two major construction projects. Conducted evaluations and tenure actions for staff and faculty. Provided reference service in person and virtually and maintained liaison duties of instruction and individual reference services.
Supervised and maintained the design, development and updating of the library web site and virtual presence as Head of Web Development. Supervised and collaborated with the Instruction Technology Specialist on digital initiatives. Acted as social media and virtual outreach coordinator by maintaining a social networking presence for the library (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.).
Supervisor, Access and Collection Services, Paul Robeson Library, Rutgers University-Camden, NJ, Jan. 2003 to March 2009
Managed day-to-day operations of access and collection services in the library; oversaw all aspects of access services, including ILL, reserves and billing. Responsible for the supervision of employees and student workers, including hiring, training and scheduling.
Software Quality Assurance and Information Analyst, Bloomberg, L.P., Princeton, NJ, April 1997 toJan. 2003
Managed the Automated Software Testing Team. Responsibilities included: creation and maintenance of training documentation for both users and testers; providing customer support, troubleshooting and problem solving for internal users and customers.
Evening Supervisor, Berkeley College, Woodbridge, New Jersey, March 1997 to August 1997
Maintained library functions during evening hours, performed general reference, circulation and interlibrary loan duties; trained students and staff on library computers; assisted students with library and course work questions.
Serials & Technical Supervisor, Kopolow Library, Olin School of Business, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, Sept.1995 to Dec. 1996
Provided hardware and software support for library computer equipment. Created and maintained the library home page and trained staff and students on library computers. Maintained the serials collection, including ordering, tracking and check in.
Evening Supervisor, Kopolow Library, Olin School of Business, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, Aug. 1994 to Sept. 1995
Responsible for library maintenance during evening hours; circulation, general information and interlibrary loan duties; supervised and trained student workers. Developed and maintained databases and website for serials and working papers.
Please see Publications section of this website.
Podcasts & Interviews
Skillen, Rosalind. (Host). (2021,Feb 11). TikTok Phenomenon, Part 2. Catch yerself on [Audio podcast] https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/tiktok-phenomenon-part-2/id1526177937?i=1000508552425
Metamodern Jawn. Presentation. Seattle Metamodernism Summit 2022: Conversations on the arts in the age of ironesty!. September 11, 2022 (virtual)
Prioritizing Privacy Course –What I Learned. Presentation. Invited Speaker. Library Freedom Project Crash Course. April 19, 2022 (virtual).
It Me, Gritty. A Metamodern Mascot. Presenter Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association. Internet and Culture Panel, Boston, MA, June 4, 2021 (virtual).
It Me. Gritty. Presenter. Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association. Internet and Culture Panel, Philadelphia, PA, April 16, 2020 (canceled).
Gritty seizes the memes. Presenter. Mid-Atlantic Popular Culture/American Culture Association. Internet and Culture Panel, Pittsburgh, PA, November 9, 2019.
Hitchhiking the internet with LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner. Presenter. Mid-Atlantic Popular Culture/American Culture Association. Internet and Culture Panel, Baltimore, MD, November 10, 2018.
Memes IRL: How the performance art of LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner unleased an internet subculture into the real world. Presenter. Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association. Internet and Culture Panel, Philadelphia, PA, November 11, 2017.
“Alternative Facts? A forum on speech and politics in a post-truth era”, Rutgers University Camden, Teaching Matters and Assessment Center. March 6, 2017. Panelist.
#CONNECTION: Audience participation in the performance art of LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner. Presenter. Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association, Internet and Culture Panel, Atlantic City, NJ, November 5, 2016
“Tumblr, or Snapchat? Instagram?” Invited presenter with Stephanie Petruso and Kt Zawodny, Computers in Libraries 2016, Washington, DC. March 10, 2016.
My Daniel Tiger or Your Daniel Tiger?: A new generation learns they are special. Presentation. Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association, Television Panel, Philadelphia, PA, November 3, 2015.
Library Bootcamp. MentorNJ Online Meetup. Webinar presented by LibraryLinkNJ. Invited panelist. May 21, 2015.
What are they saying about us? Using social media to find out what our patrons are saying. Invited presentation. Table Talk at Techfest 2015. Presented by LibraryLinkNJ, the New Jersey State Library and the New Jersey Library Association, Gloucester County Library, NJ. March 24, 2015.
Tumblarian talk. Panelist. Conversation Starter, American Library Association Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV. June 30, 2014.
Heroine as huntress: Images of female archers in comics, fantasy and science fiction. Presentation. Buffy to Batgirl Conference, Rutgers University, Camden, NJ. May 2, 2014.
Tumblr. Invited presentation. Table Talk at Technology Speed Dating. Presented by LibraryLinkNJ, the New Jersey State Library and the New Jersey Library Association, Gloucester County Library, NJ. April 24, 2014.
I’ll be shooting for my own hand: Images of female archers in popular culture. Presentation. Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association, Children and Childhood Studies Panel, Atlantic City, NJ, November 9, 2013.
I’ll meet you online: Discussing librarians’ preference of virtual meeting platforms (with Anne Larrivee). Presentation. Brick and Click: An Academic Library Symposium, Northwest Missouri State University, November 1, 2013.
Reference in the residence halls (with Zara Wilkinson). Poster. New Jersey Library Association Annual Conference, Atlantic City, NJ. June 5, 2013.
Paul Robeson Library: Events, programs, outreach and emerging technologies (with Zara Wilkinson and John Gibson). Poster. Rutgers University Libraries, State of the Libraries, November 2012.
Assessing LibGuides at Rutgers University Libraries (with Gene Springs and Michelle Oswell). Poster. New Jersey Library Association Annual Conference, Atlantic City, NJ. June 6, 2012.
Sharing parenthood: Images of children on YouTube. Presentation. Popular/American Culture Association Annual Conference, Motherhood/Fatherhood and Popular Culture Panel. Boston, MA, April 13, 2012.
Virtual outreach and social media at Paul Robeson Library. Invited presentation. Library and Information Student Association (LISSA) of the Rutgers School of Communication and Information, New Brunswick, NJ March 21, 2012.
TurnedOn, LinkedIn and DropBoxed. Invited presentation. Rutgers University Libraries, Lunchtime Seminar. New Brunswick, NJ, March 3, 2012.
We tweet, therefore (you know) we are: Virtual outreach and social media at Paul Robeson Library. Poster. Rutgers University Libraries, State of the Libraries, New Brunswick, NJ, November 30, 2011.
The giants of YouTube: David vs. Charlie. Presentation. Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association Annual Conference, Children and Childhood Studies Panel. Philadelphia, PA. November 4, 2011.
Librarian’s use of social media profile photos (with Julie Still). Virtual presentation. Library 2.011 Worldwide Virtual Conference, November 2, 2011
YouTube and YouTube-iness: YouTube as a research and instruction tool (with Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic). Association of College and Research Libraries e-Learning webcast. June 7, 2011.
Teaching Gen M (with Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic). Invited presentation. Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers University. Faculty Workshop. New Brunswick, New Jersey. November 17, 2010.
Philosophy from a pineapple under the sea. Presentation and panel chair. Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association Annual Conference, Children and Childhood Studies Panel. Alexandria, VA, October 29, 2010.
Marketing electronic resources (with Theo Haynes). Moderator. Everything You Wanted to Know About Teaching Information Literacy But Were Too Afraid to Ask. Information Literacy Workshop presented by NJLA College and University Section/ACRL-NJ User Education Committee and VALE Shared Information Literacy Committee. Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ, June 7, 2010.
Storytelling in the digital age. Presentation. National Popular/American Culture Association Annual Conference, Libraries, Archives, Museums, and Popular Culture Panel. St. Louis, MO, April 2, 2010.
Using social networking to connect with patrons. Poster. Rutgers University Libraries, State of the Libraries, New Brunswick, NJ, November 12, 2009.
Bastian Balthazhar Bux redux: Storytelling in the digital age. Presentation. Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association Conference, Children and Childhood Studies Panel. Boston, MA, November 7, 2009
Twitter: It’s not just for breakfast anymore. Presentation. Rutgers University Libraries, Scholarly and Professional Activity Committee, New Brunswick, NJ, October 21, 2009.
Teaching Gen M: Meet the authors (with Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic and Robert J. Lackie). Invited speaker. Barnes and Noble/Rutgers Cappuccino Academy. Marlton, New Jersey. September 10, 2009
Teaching Gen M: Meet the authors (with Vibiana Bowman Cvetkovic). Invited speaker. Barnes and Noble/Rutgers Cappuccino Academy. Online chat. September 3, 2009
Electronic delivery of print periodical articles from the stacks: A pilot project (with Judy Gardner, Krista Dandurand and Holly Muller). Poster. New Jersey Library Association Annual Conference, May 1, 2008.
RUL Inventory (with Andy Martinez and Roger Smith). Poster. State of the Libraries, Rutgers University Libraries, November 1, 2006.
Report from Ivies+ Access Services Symposium. Invited panelist. Lunchtime Seminar, Rutgers University Libraries, May 2005.
Robeson Library Renovations (with Libby Hart). Presentation. State of the Libraries, Rutgers University Libraries, November 3, 2004.
National Activities and Service
- Prioritizing Privacy, Data Ethics Training for Library Professionals, Continuing Education Program (Spring 2022)
- Library Freedom Project, Member (2020-present)
- Library Freedom Institute (Library Freedom Project), Cohort 3 (2020)
- American Library Association (2006-2021)
- Advocacy Coordinating Group, RUSA representative (2009-2011)
- ACRL (Division of ALA) (2010-2021)
- ANSS (Anthropology section of ACRL) (2011-2021)
- Past-Chair (2019-2020)
- Chair (2018-2019)
- Vice-Chair Elect (2017-2018)
- Secretary, Executive Committee (2013-2015)
- Liaison Committee (2011-present, current chair)
- Program Planning Committee, San Francisco (2013-2015)
- Cyber Task Force (2012)
- Program Planning Committee, Chicago, 2013 (co-chair 2011-2013)
- ULS (University Libraries Section of ACRL)
- Academic Outreach Committee (2013-2015)
- Reference and User Services Association (Division of ALA)
- Membership Committee (2009-2011)
- Access to Information Committee (2009-2011)
- American Library Association New Members Round Table (since 2009)
- Liaison to RUSA (2009-2010)
State and Regional Activities and Service
- PALCI Code of conduct task force (2019-2020)
- South Jersey Regional Library Cooperative (SJRLC)
- Children’s and YA Book Reviewer (2009-2011)
- Virtual Academic Library Environment of New Jersey (VALE)
- Mid-Atlantic Popular/American Culture Association
- Rutgers University Senate, Library representative (2021-2024)
- Information and Technology Committee- co-chair (2022-present)
Rutgers University, Camden
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences Senate- Library representative (2016-2019)
- Civic Engagement Fellow (2014)
- General Education Committee (2013-2014)
Rutgers University Libraries Organizations
- Committee of Review (2020-2022) (chair 2020-2021)
- Rules of Procedure Committee (2021-2024)
- Faculty Chair (2019-2020)
- Peer-Group (ad-hoc) (2019), (2021)
- Faculty Vice Chair/Chair Elect (2018-2019)
- A&P Committee (ad-hoc) (2018)
- Discovery Working Group (2018-2019)
- Leganto Working Group (2018-2020)
- Search Committee, Dana Business Librarian (2018)
- Rules of Procedure Committee (2015-2018)
- Chat Reference Task Force, Chair (2016)
- Search Committee, Director of Communications (2015)
- Personnel Policy and Affirmative Action Committee (2014-2016)
- Ask a Librarian and Meebo (IM) Team (2009-present)
- Web Board (2010- 2015)
- User Services Council, General representative (2010-2014) Co-Chair (2012-2014)
- Mobile Devices Task Force (2010-2012) Co-Chair.
- Instructional Community of Practice (2012-2013)
- Chat Reference Task Force (2010- 2011)
- Information Literacy Implementation Advisory Committee (2011-2012)
- LibGuides Implementation Task Force (2010-2013)
- Web Advisory Committee (2010-2012)
- Planning and Coordinating Committee (2009-2012)
Paul Robeson Library
- Strategic Planning Team (2020-2022 )
- Staff Resources Committee (2020-2021)
- Chair, Peer Review Group Committee (2022)
- Chair, Peer Review Group Committee (2021)
- Technology Committee (2018- present)
- Space Committee (2018-present)
- Events and Exhibits Committee (2018-present)
- PEC Committee (2019)
- Peer Group Review Committees (2017-present)
- Search Committee, Library Supervisor I, (2018)
- Search Committee, Student Success Librarian (2018)
- Search Committee, Evening Librarian (2018)
- Search Committee, Camden County College/Rowan Librarian (2017)
- Search Committee, Liaison Librarian (2014)
- Camden Chapter Leadership Committee (2020- present)